Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bitter Day

I've had a bitter taste in my mouth all day. Most of the day was spent working on my CEUs for my nursing license - I learned all about Arterial Blood Gases and Telephone Triage (thought that looked interesting!) so I wasn't sure why I felt so grumpy.

Jake headed back to school and then to Circus Club. He reported good behaviour in school but some kid was bugging him at Circus Club so he ran and sulked in a corner. Grrrrrr! I lectured him on dealing with mouthy kids himself or making sure an adult is aware. No running away! John suggested a head butt would solve lots of problems. I did not concur (out loud at least!)

Lisette had play rehearsal so Jake and I picked her up just after he finished the Circus Club. Nicole is growing her hair really long and sometimes lets it dry naturally - giving it a kind of sloppy but "cool" look. She walked in the door from school and I thought she'd gotten her hair messed up so I said "What the heck happened to your hair?" Oooops. My bad! She wasn't really amused! Poor baby!

About 20 minutes ago I finally realized why I was feeling so out of sorts. Virginia Tech. I've been following the story via CNN and the Internet. My heart feels like it's having spasms in my chest, it hurts. The pain of the victims, their friends and families. This young man was so very sick, what pain must his family be in too??

So now I know where the bitter feeling is coming from. Lisette just wrote a long blog on the VT shootings too. Will the U.S. every be able to clean up the guns? Seems like the "gun control" issue is completely out of control. Somewhere in there there's an answer, but for today we only have grief.

1 comment:

patsyrose said...

This man was so obviously sick and out of control. The fact that someone in this condition can have access to guns is intolerable.

My biggest fear is that his actions (and the constant coverage of his videos) will spur some other maniac to copy him.

I, too , have wondered about his family. Oriental people usually have strong, proud families and they must be devastated by the loss of their son and the consequences of his illness.