Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Walk

Yesterday was boring. Hung around the house. Wasn't feeling up to going anywhere but did enjoy the quiet other than the roof guys making lots of noise.

Then I decided it would be an excellent idea to walk to Jake's school to pick him up instead of driving. Turned out, I was right.

Firstly, it was an invigorating walk to get there. I left a little later than I should have! The only bad part, I walked on the main road so it was kind of stinky and noisy.

I think Jake was the last kid to be picked up. Ooops. Like that's never happened before! :-) He didn't seem to mind though. I had brought him a snack. The way to a man's heart...works with little men too.

It was about a fifteen minute walk home and we took the smaller streets. We talked about everything. Topics covered...school, swimming, water pollution, pet allergies, damaging other peoples tubs, world travel, sports, Mothers Day, poetry, homework and video games. I'm sure there were more but it's too early in the morning for full recall.

The tub story - when we were staying at a newly opened B&B in Umbria, Italy Jake was about 3. As John was filling the bathtub to wash the grubby little munchkin, Jake decided he wanted the cute little ducky to join him in the tub. Unfortunately it was a brass ducky and a iron tub. Chipped the tub. In the week we were there, we had the duck incident, Jake fell in the pool, John broke the hammock and Nicole was punctured just below the eye with a model bird wing. Lisette and I behaved (although the puncture was kind of Lisette's fault). When we left the B&B we were told they were reconsidering allowing children - and they were serious!! Wow, the power of our kids!

Jake was the one to remind me of his duck incident and we laughed over his baby naughtiness. I think I'll be walking to the school more often.

2 comments:

Kim said...

You couldn't possibly have covered that much information in a short drive. Amazing how the things that are good for us are actually good for us! Remind Jake that he peed in my bed in Italy too :)

patsyrose said...

Those long one on one talks with the kids make me happy beyond words. When I take them out for their birthday "day" we get to bond all over again.