Monday, May 28, 2007

Blogging Withdrawal

Wow! I haven't blogged in days!! Is there a BA (Bloggers Anonymous) when the time comes to lay down that keyboard??

We had a busy weekend (obviously) cleaning up the house sans maid who's sick. Poor Lilian! Poor us! I must say, John did an outstanding job in the office!! Sometimes my evil plan works beautifully. I figured I'd go to bed (at 10), read a little then finish whatever job he'd left for me this morning - the plan worked perfectly! Not much to do but general picking up. I'm hoping Lilian is feeling well enough to be back to work today but it isn't so bad if she doesn't make it - thanks to the elbow grease of the five of us!

Today would have been my Dad's seventieth birthday. Most of you or all of you know we lost him in July of 2005. I still can't talk about him without welling up but I certainly can't go without mentioning him today. I imagine he'd be thrilled with our adventure here. His sense of adventure was one of my favourite things about him. This is the post I wrote 12 months after he died, on his memorial website ~

"Well Pops, it's been a year. Can you believe it? It's been rough without you around to encourage me or to raise an eyebrow at me or to pass the phone to Mom because you hated to talk on the phone.

We're doing well down here in Florida but my "Honey-do" list stays pretty long without your bi-annual trips here. John is an amazing man, in many ways I did marry my dad, but he's just not quite as fast as you were to get those jobs done.

We might go to Barnhills for dinner tonight, in your honour. I've never seen a man chow down at a buffet like you could. Jake has your intensity at the dinner table though. He's been giving me extra hugs today, has you on his mind too.

John suggested we go sailing but that didn't feel right somehow. He then suggested we let Jake play with power tools or take something apart just for the heck of it, that seemed like the right idea!

I was wishing I was in Hamilton today then realized you aren't really there anyway. You're off sailing or fishing or just watching some race or antique show somewhere but you're not wasting time moaning about things. That was never your style. I know you're watching over the bunch of us but expecting us to look after ourselves, just like you taught us. We'll do our best.

Thank you for teaching us. Thank you for being an outstanding example of a parent. Thank you for the hundreds of little things we saw you do that showed the way. Thank you for my sisters, I couldn't have got through the last 42 years without them much less the last 12 months.

You were and always will be my hero. I have always been so very proud to be your daughter. I will carry you in my heart and soul forever.

Your Shelley"

Happy Memorial Day!
Please pray for our Military and give your dad a call! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Shelley I do know how you feel. I would like to say that six years later it gets easier and in some ways it does but other ways it is like it happened yesterday. I think the only thing we can do is remember how special our Dad were and thank God that He gave us to them. I still remember my Dad saying here take this twenty and go get something for yourself because no matter how old I got I was still his little girl. After he died I was looking in his wallet and he had three pictures in it one of my mom at sixteen one of my kids and one from me. On the back of mine it read "to the best Dad in the world" I still mean those words today. Just embrace what your dad was and continue being the parent to your children he showed you how to be. Love you and you are in my prayers always but especially today.

Kim said...

He's been on my mind all day today.