Monday, May 14, 2007

Aspergers Syndrome

On Friday, we had a meeting with Jake's principal. His "anger issues" had graduated him from seeing the school counselor to seeing the principal. Not really excited about that. However his principal is a wonderful lady, very patient and knowledgeable. After talking for about 45 minutes, she suggested we get Jake tested for Aspergers Syndrome. It's a very functional, high level functional form of Autism. Ahhhhh! The "A" word. Well, after doing some Google searching, we've decided we all suffer from it - it's a family affliction!! We've just always said we were anal retentive!

So, maybe Jake will be tested or maybe we'll just threaten him so he'll stop losing his temper over ridiculous things like the difference between a violin and a cello. According to him, I told him a cello was a violin when he was two and he refused to believe it wasn't on Thursday. Took on his whole class including his teacher, fighting (not literally, thank God) for his "violin". Sigh...

At dinner today, I asked John if he'd been a nice boy in school today, had he not started any fights? He thought I was talking about Jake. Hmmmmm. The old apple saying is true!! LOL

The girls and I had Spanish today. I again asked John if he thought my Spanish was getting better. He said it was great! We compared my speaking with my friend's who has a much better grasp on the language. John said Mary spoke like she was very careful, taking baby steps per se. Me, I take off running until I "crash into a wall." I kind of like that!! :-)

So our new family motto is "Aspergers Spoken Here" - wanna join our club?

3 comments:

Kim said...

OK, I read a bit about it. Jake is Jake. These damn teachers grab hold of the 'newest' syndrome and label everyone they possibly can with it. Unless you are truly concerned that there is something wrong with him (and I will disagree with you) then have him tested. Until then realize that not everyone can easily adjust to so many life changes. The poor bugger has had a lot to deal with and will continue to have a lot to deal with. He doesn't need to have the 'label of the day' attached to him. Hugs and kisses and time will probably help more. Give him some from his Auntie who fought like hell to keep the ADDHD label off his cousin!

Shelley said...

Any "tools" we can gather to help him cope with the big changes that are and will be happening in his life - that's a good thing. We don't believe he has Aspergers. We do believe we need more ideas on how to help him handle it all. His rations of hugs, kisses and time will never run out! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think Jakes main problem is he the youngest and the only boy. He does not have any "syndromes"
i agree with Kim it may not seem like the moves bother him and they might not have bothered the girls but, that could be what is wrong. I really think that it is easier to call a problem a syndrome than to deal with the real problem. Call me and ask me about Lindsay and first grade.