Thursday, March 22, 2007

Newcomer's Adventure

There's a Newcomer's Group that meets just three times but they cover lots of useful info like - paying bills(yeah!), choosing meat at the grocery store (yum!) and avoiding getting mugged (bonus!) Today, we met and toured the business area near my house and then took the train to Belgrano, a suburb of Buenos Aires.

I'm thrilled with this area - we're plenty close to a lot of great shops/cafes but our neighbourhood is very, very quiet. So it was fun to find some new places to check out and have the shoe repair shop pointed out, etc. etc.

Chinatown (really China Street) is in Belgrano and we had an awesome Chinese food lunch. The ladies in the group are super friendly, it was a very international group too - Americans, Canadians, German, Danish, Asian (from Laos, I think).

So now I know how to take the train - exceedingly easy but I didn't know that until I went! I also bought a good map book at the "Kiosco" near the station.

The Spanish tutor had just arrived as I was walking up to the house. Class went well and Jake jumped right in when it was his turn. When I introduced them he immediately responded in confident Spanish - too cute!!

Nicole went to the doctor after I picked the girls up from soccer. Her back has been bothering her for quite some time. The doctor diagnosed it as a sciatic problem and suggested rest/warmth/ibuprofen as well as stretching. Thankfully, said doctor speaks English and takes our medical insurance.

Busy day - now I'm ready for bed!

BTW, our phone is definitely working now. John had set it up to forward to his old cell phone number!! AHHHH! :-)

2 comments:

Kim said...

You sounded exhausted when I talked to you. What would that man of yours do without you?????? You know I love you Johny, but....
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

patsyrose said...

You're having the experience of a lifetime. I'm not even envious because I'm living it through you. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!