Monday, June 18, 2007

Where have I been??










Well, grab that cup of coffee/glass of wine and hunker down for a long explanation!



The five of us plus Juan and Carmen headed to Iguazu Falls for the weekend. In typical fashion, we had some excitement in our travels. Some expected and some not so much.



Our flight out started relatively badly. The pilot couldn't seem to find the middle of the runway but take-off was successful. The turbulence was nasty for the first 5-10 minutes but then we all settled into our seats to our books/games. A few minutes later we smelled that smell you don't want to smell in an enclosed space. The turbulence had gotten to someone good. That set off sympathy vomiting. Not fun but it didn't reach any of our little group. A little while later I had my nose in my Sudoku but Juan and Carmen noticed the arrival of some oxygen to a passenger half a dozen rows up. Luckily there was a doctor on board, unluckily he was a Radiologist. I let him know I was available to help if he needed. He was an American and happened to be sitting right behind us. He needed my help. He asked me to start an IV on the lady. Her BP was low and she was quite pale and clammy. Hmmmm. I haven't started an IV in over 9 years. Now I was going to try on a bumpy airplane. First try a success baby!! Yeehaw!! I always loved starting IVs. :-) She responded well to the extra fluid, her colour improved as did her BP. They turned around the airplane and we landed about 20 minutes after she got her IV. Whew! Supposedly it made the newspaper and it sounds like she was fine. The doc and I thought it might have just been some shock after the air sickness/vomiting. Nice way to start the vacation huh?

I have always thought that Niagara Falls was the most awe-inspiring falls ever. I was wrong. Painful as it is to admit, I was wrong. I wept...again. It was incredible.

We saw wild guinea pigs, dozens of coaties (raccoon looking creatures), two toucans, an eagle, giant ants, hundreds of butterflies and Lisette saw a monkey with a baby on its back!
Saturday was falls day, Sunday we went to some Jesuit Mission ruins three hours away and Monday was back to the falls for a boat ride into the falls!
I'm exhausted but the plane ride back was quiet except for the coke Jake spilled all over the place! :-)

2 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

wow! what an adventure! in more ways than one. i love the photos.
you are a real hero.........i'm amazed
love
auntie m

Kim said...

What an amazing couple of days. Memories for a lifetime.
My sista, a hero.

Love and kisses