Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Recovery Mode

John's parents headed back home last night. Carmen cried, I cried, John and Juan got misty-eyed. The kids waved enthusiastically from the front gate, throwing kisses and shouting love calls.

We've been blessed with an awesome extended family. I'm thrilled that our kids are so close to their blood relatives. It does a heart good.

Lisette went out for breakfast yesterday with Juan and Carmen. I was still sawing logs so when I came downstairs to find an empty first floor I felt bad that my in-laws had walked off to the cafe alone. Hence my delight when Lisette returned a short time later with them! They had had some deep philosophical discussions according to Carmen. I completely believe it.

Both of the girls spent a few hours laughing and talking up in Lisette's room with their Nana while Carmen packed. Jake had been the focus of cuddle time on Monday night so the girls were getting their fair share.

Juan, Carmen and I headed into the city to pick up John after school. We went to Cafe Tortoni...THE most famous, oldest cafe in Buenos Aires. It was worth the stop!

From there it was a relatively straight shot to the airport where we sat and chatted until the hour of departure arrived. Here the tears and mist were shed with talk of "the next time" - an important part of the farewell ritual. I squeezed John's hand as we walked away from the security gate. How well I know the pain of goodbyes.

No comments: